CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Heart-Healer

So I had a cardiac CT scan yesterday to see if there were collateral vessels forming, that are shunting my blood around my heart and lungs, and reconnecting them elsewhere...which basically means that my blue oxygen deprived blood is being pushed out into my body, making it feel like I am not taking in enough oxygen (even though my lungs are fine). So the CT scan is pretty standard. The only thing was, that I needed to pre-medicate myself with benadryl and prednisone because I have had an allergic reaction to the contrast dye they use in the scan to detect the blood flow. This is the first time I had to be pre-medded, so I wasnt sure what to expect, apart from being sleepy from the benadryl.

So the scan went fine, and I didnt have any reaction (again, aside from sleepiness!) and went and ran some errands with mom afterwards, including getting our Christmas tree. So we get home, set the tree up and BAM. My heart feels like its going to beat right out of my chest. It is racing, and skipping beats along the way. Im scared. I mean, scared enough to be close to calling 911. Luckily, I have my cardiologist paged through MGH and she calls me back within about 10 mins. She said it was the prednisone, and to take my heart meds early to stop the racing and skipping.

Now, I should say, that when this started, I reclined in my living room chair to try and stop the racing. Shelby my dog jumped into my lap, and Faith jumped onto my feet. As soon as I spoke with my Dr. and was told to take my meds and relax, Faith immediately moved to my chest. Now, I had my pulse-oxometer on my left had to keep an eye on my HR. Within 5 minutes of Faith on my chest (and Shelby on my lap) my HR had dropped over 12 BPM. I hadnt even gotten up to take the medication yet. For anyone who doesnt believe in the healing power of pets, you come talk to ME, and I will give you not only this story, but other cases not only involving my own animals, but those of friends, families and strangers who have told their stories in various books I have read.

Thank you for reading this; the moral of the story is intended to be "ask, and you shall receive". I asked to have my HR go down, and to not have to go to the ER by ambulance. Not only did I get my wish, but I got comfort and reassurance as well. Some may say its the meds, some may say it was the Dr.s advice. I say it was the power of animal healing and positive thought =0)


0 comments: