CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

The Healer

Today I learned something very interesting: my cat Faith, is a healer. Now, I know a lot of you must be thinking :duh, most cats are in some way or another...in fact, most ANIMALS are in some way (dogs, including mine, going into rehab centers or nursing homes, horses used as therapy animals for riding etc. etc.)

Thats what most people think of as animal healers; other people are touched by their own animals in a much deeper way. A majority of the books that I own and read are about the human-animal bond; animals saving their owners from true danger like a house fire, or from drowning. Some other people have animals that have healed them in more spiritual ways; mending broken hearts and lives. That is where my animals fit. Ive tried to make my mental and physical illnesses no secret. There is no difference between the chemical imbalance in my brain sending my body fight or flight panic signals, and the electrical impulses that control the rhythm of my heart. I have come to terms with those facts, and those illnesses. However, although I am COMFORTABLE with what I have to live with, I am always trying to learn. I try to get something new out of every session with either my cardiologist or my therapist.

Today, I happened to learn something new from my therapist....that my cat is healing me. Again, going beyond helping me get up every morning, and get her food ready; taking her for a walk in the stroller, snuggling with me when Im down, etc. (My dogs do all of this too, by the way; I definitely dont want to minimize what THEY do for me everyday!) But it turns out that Faith is doing two things that my dogs are not...

The first thing Faith does, is that she sits or lies on me. Now, this may seem like no big deal since billions of cats all over the world do the same thing for their pet parents. But this is something that can actually help me in my panic. After having a pretty bad panic attack a few days ago at my aunts, my therapist suggested that I have a talk with my family about what they can do to help me should it happen again (not a question of if, but when...). She suggested that because my brain goes into "primal" mode (meaning it is going through fight/flight pattern because of the panic and the adrenaline surging increasing those feelings), I am often unable to speak, or if I can, make much since~because my brain is not working right. So the best thing they can do, instead of asking me questions or trying to "talk some sense into me", would be to tightly hug me, or to swaddle me in a blanket because that primal tactile sensation will calm me down; like it can do with people with brain injuries, Alzheimer's, or other emotional disorders.

So I asked if there was anything I could do about a panic attack either when Im alone, or in a situation when I cant get this feeling from someone else. She suggested that I might want to get a weighted blanket or shawl to "fake" the hug pressure. Then I thought about Faith...I always feel better when she is sitting on me: me chest, my stomach, my lap, wherever. And now I know its the pressure her little body is exerting thats making me feel better.

The other thing that she can do that the dogs cat is purr. Purring has been scientifically shown to heal; its frequency is like using ultrasound. Here is a great article about the healing benefits of purring: http://consciouscat.net/2009/09/14/the-cats-purr-a-biomechanical-healing-mechanism/

As you can see, cats are the ultimate healers! Im going to go hug my little Faith right now and let her know how much I appreciate her help. Id love to hear how your kitties are healing you!


0 comments: